Hardware and Software

Don't call 911. Head for this help station.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:31 pm

HercMaster wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if I am doing something wrong with GSAK?? My 60Cx seems to cut off at 500, not 1000, when I upload as waypoints.

You are talking about dropping more then one file into GSAK right?
GSAK is a well thought out program that I've had no problems with, at all. Hey, I even paid for it instead of just using it for free. :D

My experience with GSAK and GC's GPX PQs (Pocket Queries):
The maximum amount of GPX files/waypoints allowed in a single GC PQ is 500, or at least I can't get more then that, so you/I would need to be dropping more then one file onto GSAK to load 1,000 into a GPSr. If you drop 500 onto GSAK then drop 500 more, you may not get 1,000 because GSAK will sort out any that are duplicates and only load the new ones. I'm not the fastest turtle in the pond when it comes to PQ filters so I often have duplicates. It is about normal for me to drop 400 then 400 more just to end up with 500 - 600 caches loaded into my GPS instead of 800. I just dump a bunch of stuff in and GSAK sorts it out, loads it into any of my 3 GPSrs or converts it into PDB format for CacheMate on my Palm.
There wasn't nearly as much rust on my brain when I was dealing with soooo many different programs to get stuff done but now that I have GSAK the rust is a 1/2" thick.
You mileage may vary greatly :D
HercMaster
New Poster

Postby HercMaster » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:29 pm

BackpacknJack wrote:You are talking about dropping more then one file into GSAK right?

I usually just work with only 1 database in GSAK, and put everything into it. Got about 2,000 caches in there now. Then I select a subset of that to upload to the 60Cx. Doing one upload like that, my 60Cx only accepts a maximum of 500 caches.

BackpacknJack wrote:GSAK is a well thought out program that I've had no problems with, at all. Hey, I even paid for it instead of just using it for free. :D

I agree. I got a free copy of it at the Clarksville geocacher gathering last spring, and the thing works GREAT!

BackpacknJack wrote:My experience with GSAK and GC's GPX PQs (Pocket Queries):
The maximum amount of GPX files/waypoints allowed in a single GC PQ is 500, or at least I can't get more then that, so you/I would need to be dropping more then one file onto GSAK to load 1,000 into a GPSr. If you drop 500 onto GSAK then drop 500 more, you may not get 1,000 because GSAK will sort out any that are duplicates and only load the new ones. I'm not the fastest turtle in the pond when it comes to PQ filters so I often have duplicates. It is about normal for me to drop 400 then 400 more just to end up with 500 - 600 caches loaded into my GPS instead of 800. I just dump a bunch of stuff in and GSAK sorts it out, loads it into any of my 3 GPSrs or converts it into PDB format for CacheMate on my Palm.

Hmmm, I'll have to try that.

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You set up your first filter conditions and upload 400 or so caches into the 60Cx. Then you set up your second filter conditions and upload an additional 400 or so caches into the 60Cx, and that will result in a total of 800 or so caches in your 60Cx?
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:39 pm

HercMaster wrote: I usually just work with only 1 database in GSAK, and put everything into it. Got about 2,000 caches in there now. Then I select a subset of that to upload to the 60Cx. Doing one upload like that, my 60Cx only accepts a maximum of 500 caches.

No need to upload to the GPSr twice. If you have 2000 in GSAK you can upload 1000 (maxing out the unit) at once. It sounds like the thing you need to do is go to the top menu in GSAK and select "GPS" then "setup." This will bring up a box with an option to select connection type and some other things, among them the max number of waypoints your GPSr can hold. Change that number to 1000 and you are in bussiness.

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:08 pm

HercMaster wrote:Let me see if I understand you correctly. You set up your first filter conditions and upload 400 or so caches into the 60Cx. Then you set up your second filter conditions and upload an additional 400 or so caches into the 60Cx, and that will result in a total of 800 or so caches in your 60Cx?

No. I was actually speaking of loading 2 files into GSAK then loading them into the GPS. but I understand your question, I should have said *then 400 more into GSAK just to end*
We were on the right track though, a GC PQ is maxed at 500 and your Garmin is maxed at 1,000 so you need more then one file to load. I bet the simple oversight in setttings pointed out by AK was the problem, right?
ar_kayaker wrote:Change that number to 1000 and you are in bussiness.

Your caching must be a lot more organized then mine is. I head to anywhere at the drop of a hat so I need room left in my GSAK for extra PQs. That is why my regularly scheduled PQ is set at only 400 caches.
HercMaster
New Poster

Postby HercMaster » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:38 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:No need to upload to the GPSr twice. If you have 2000 in GSAK you can upload 1000 (maxing out the unit) at once. It sounds like the thing you need to do is go to the top menu in GSAK and select "GPS" then "setup." This will bring up a box with an option to select connection type and some other things, among them the max number of waypoints your GPSr can hold. Change that number to 1000 and you are in bussiness.

AK

You were absolutely correct, sir! I had *assumed* the "500" which GSAK defaulted to for the Garmin was the limit for that GPS. As you said, once I edited that value in GSAK to "1000", then I was able to upload 989 caches to the GPSr in one fell swoop.

Now I'm wondering what will happen if I type in "2000" for my Garmin 60Cx in the GSAK setup and try to cram THAT into my Garmin...

In any event, thank you AK, you hit the nail on the head!
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:12 pm

HercMaster wrote: Now I'm wondering what will happen if I type in "2000" for my Garmin 60Cx in the GSAK setup and try to cram THAT into my Garmin...

GSAK will reach 1000 during the transfer (unless there were already some in the GPSr) and then hang up for a second before giving an error and the GPSr will display "waypoint memory full."

You will also get a "unidentified error" try to load certain symbols as text for the waypoint description. When you go to send waypoint there is a box that says "problem characters to remove from description." Make sure to put <>+="_-' in that box. It'll save headaches later, though if you don't use the %hint tag in the box below it then it probably won't ever come up.

I use "%con1%typ1%ter1%dif1%bug" so that a glance at a GPSr tells me the size, type, terrain, difficulty, and whether or not there is supposed to be a TB present.

AK
HercMaster
New Poster

Postby HercMaster » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:11 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:I use "%con1%typ1%ter1%dif1%bug" so that a glance at a GPSr tells me the size, type, terrain, difficulty, and whether or not there is supposed to be a TB present.

AK

Thanks again, AK. For *most* of my geocaching expeditions, I load not only my GPSr but also Cachemate in my Pocket PC, so I don't need to stuff the above info in my GPSr. But lately I load at least the cache description and the (abbreviated, usually) hint info into the GPS, so I can usually do at least a halfway decent geocache hunt carrying just the Garmin 60 alone.

But for more serious geocaching, the full hint plus some of the logs, contained in Cachemate, comes in quite handy if I am struggling with a particular cache.

Which I often am.... (grin)

HercMaster
specialteacher
New Poster

downloading free maps

Postby specialteacher » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:20 pm

I was wondering if there is a maps program that I can download to my Garmin 60 cx for free. I am not very computer smart but would like to add better maps than came with my Garmin. I bought an added a 2gig memory card so it would hold it but can't figure out where to go from there.
BackpacknJack
Host

Re: downloading free maps

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:43 am

specialteacher wrote:I was wondering if there is a maps program that I can download to my Garmin 60 cx for free. I am not very computer smart but would like to add better maps than came with my Garmin. I bought an added a 2gig memory card so it would hold it but can't figure out where to go from there.

The instructions found on this site [mydigitallife.info] about how to install free maps may be a good place to start.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/07/2 ... eries-gps/

Or better yet, the steps for converting "OpenStreetMap" data into Garmin.img format (the link below) found at this great resource http://freegeographytools.com

http://freegeographytools.com/2007/conv ... img-format

Plus just a simple google search [free maps for garmin] will point you to lots of resources for tips and free maps.
I hope you find something here that works for you but maybe some of our other members know of better resources.
Blueflashlight

DeLorme PN-40

Postby Blueflashlight » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:56 pm

I expect my new DeLorme PN-40 to arrive in the morning. Does anyone use this GPSr? Any hints?
BackpacknJack
Host

Re: DeLorme PN-40

Postby BackpacknJack » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:23 pm

Blueflashlight wrote:I expect my new DeLorme PN-40 to arrive in the morning. Does anyone use this GPSr? Any hints?

Sorry I couldn’t help you out with this one, my weapons of choice (well the only ones I have) are an old Garmin GPS12 (from the 90‘s), a Magellan Meridian Gold, and a GarminMap 60CSx.
So how do you like your Delorme GPS? I don't hear much about them.

Return to “Geocaching Help Station”