Snakes in Arkansas

Please refer to the Board Rules before posting here
BackpacknJack
Host

Snakes in Arkansas

Postby BackpacknJack » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:02 am

Hot Springs may be where this one was found and maybe not but here are a few facts that may be pertinent to your outdoor adventures anyway:
The snake in that picture is alive…not dead. (I wonder where it is now :shock: ) It is illegal to kill even venomous snakes in Arkansas
http://www.snakesofarkansas.com/Main/Laws#Killing
Mature Western Diamond Back Rattlers (notice the black bands in front of the rattlers) can reach 5 - 7 ft here in Arkansas (this one seems to be every bit of 7ft )
BPNJ
--------------

Forward:
Snake found near 270 Bypass in Hot Springs
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:30:08 -0
Big rattler in Arkansas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:01 pm

"The killing of any nongame herp is illegal unless it proves to be an imminent threat to persons or property (i.e. livestock or pets). This applies even to venomous snakes."

'zat mean I coulda killed the copperhead that bit me?

I saw a rattler stretched across the hiway out of Clinton that had to be very near if not 7 feet. As big around as my leg. The record in most states they live is close to 8 feet. A lotta snake.
OEnavigator
Very Active Poster

Postby OEnavigator » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:49 pm

That does it. I'm not leaving the house until December! I was going up on Poteau mountain but I think I'll rethink that. Nah, I'm going anyway.
Last edited by OEnavigator on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:11 pm

Just a thought here. Because it is indeed illegal to kill a poisonous snakes maybe the really big ones that are found are not reported to anyone that could verify the official length of it….ie Game Wardens and a new 10ft State record would just go unnoticed. Just a thought, not that I think it has ever or will ever happen again.
Just another thought,….it may just be possible to kill a threatening Copperhead and almost bury it completely with one blow of an 18 lb splitting maul.…not that I think it has ever or ever will again happen.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Just thought we may as well bump this one up there with the rest of the snakes. In fact I think this one deserves to be up there near the top if for no other reasons then -> because it is sooooo huge -> because it was released back into the wild -> because there is a very hard to get to cache in this same area where it was found. Keep both eyes Q_Q on the ground until winter folks.
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:21 pm

I saw a weird little lizard in Texas last week that had a black banded tail. When you got to close it would shake it like a rattler before running away.

just a weird coincidence.

Return to “Off Topic”