FT CHAFFEE RATTLER

Please refer to the Board Rules before posting here
BackpacknJack
Host

FT CHAFFEE RATTLER

Postby BackpacknJack » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:18 pm

Ever cached in Fort Chaffee? I have and here is one of my logs from a caching trip after the mouse hunt in Barling: > Chaffee Pines <
I would hate to have tested my double layer leather cowboy boots on this 9 foot 1 inch Rattler that was found there.
*As you know, you will have to be logged in to see images on this web site.*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:14 am

Having heard much about the rattlers in this area, I had never encountered but one in the road kill category. A couple of years ago I popped over a hill and saw one that had to be close to 8 feet. I know this not because I stopped and asked or pulled out my handy dandy tape measure but because it was stretched out over almost, if not the entire lane of the hiway. I tried hard to miss it and saw after I passed that it had coiled and was safe. I did a u turn and sat in the road to stop any others from squishing it while it moved to safety. I had no idea they got that LARGE!. I thought 5 to 6 feet was a big one. This thing was almost as big around as my leg. Everyone I have told this story to, almos,t has been...why didn't you kill it? Beautiful critter. Seen a couple more since then. Like the copperheads, gotta wonder how many I have walked right by.
Q2
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Until the vacuum cleaner ate them (both at the same time :( ) I had two snake skins, one 5 1/2ft and one 7 1/2ft (2 years apart) from a Rattler that lives on or around my place that I had stretched down the length of my coffee table. They were a lot more fun as conversation pieces then those normal coffee table books and that made it easy to show this snake was growing at a rate of at least 1 ft per year. The last skin I found was 7.5ft and after touching the ex owner with my flipflopped feet I never went looking for the next shed and I’ve never gone outside again wearing flip-flops. It was stretched out through my tomato cages, about 3 of them, and couldn’t turn to strike so I was lucky. I have about every kind of Arkansas reptile there is around here, the largest Copperheads I have ever seen, plus the largest Earth Snake the herpetologist at the Little Rock Zoo has ever measured, and even a Beautiful (yep, with a capital “B”) albino colored Hog Nosed Snake (common southern name Spread-n-Adder). The array of Corn Snakes and King Snakes and Lizards and Terrapins and Rattlers (Yall do know there is no such thing as one Rattler right? :shock:) and Copperheads and Spread-n-adders and King Snakes, and what ever I may have missed so far has slowed down a lot since they cut a road between my place along the ridge and the lake, leaving a cliff that is from 6 ft up to 20 ft tall. A nice relief for me but I sure feel sorry for those on the other side of the road. (keeping an eye on the ground :arrow: Q_Q
I now wear tall heavy leather cowboy boots outside and keep some cats around to hold down the food supply and make my ridge less attractive to those beautiful but deadly critters.

PS. Years ago my ex father-n-law killed a Rattler with a log skidder near Lake Nimrod and said it was as big around as his leg and as long as the bed of his pickup truck with the tailgate down. That would make it about 10ft. He gave me a small section of the hide and you would not believe the size of the diamonds. The diversity of the terrain and the diversity of the critters and plants in “The Natural State” is just amazing.
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:23 pm

BackpacknJack wrote: It was stretched out through my tomato cages, about 3 of them, and couldn’t turn to strike so I was lucky..

I watched as a lady poked at one, threw a stick and then went for the gun. I had to push it towards the woods. It never did strike. Nothing warm was near it, some say they see heat more than light, so that may be the reason. But seems these things are not "mean" as the saying implies. I read that many prolly do not even rattle and remain unnoticed as folks walk right by. Or play flip flop footsies as the case may be. :roll:
Q2

Return to “Off Topic”