hikes around Clinton

Please refer to the Board Rules before posting here
Q
Top Rank Poster

hikes around Clinton

Postby Q » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Looking to give some friends a intro to hiking. They have seen pics of some waterfalls in the Ozark Nat Forest and Pedestal rox that we did over the holidays and want to get to something like. They have a youngun under a year but I have a good quality kid packer. Just want something not tooo far away, tooo steep or bushwhacking. Two mile limit should be ok. Finding a cache would be a plus too. They have done little john...petit jean.

any ideas?
Q2
walkingshadow

Postby walkingshadow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Travel a little further to Ponca. The lost valley hike is very pretty and not that long. There are several caches in the area and is worth the extra drive. I have been once and would like to return sometime.
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:03 am

walkingshadow wrote:Travel a little further to Ponca. The lost valley hike is very pretty and not that long. There are several caches in the area and is worth the extra drive. I have been once and would like to return sometime.

That is prob a 2 hour extra drive, from Clinton to Ponca but there are lots and lots of interesting areas to explore in almost any direction you want to go from the Jasper / Ponca / Boxley area and I agree Lost Valley sort of fits everything you asked for. Lots of interesting things to look at on the trail, even the trees, plus lots of deer and if there is any water the falls and the caves should hold everyone's interest.

No danger and you may see tons of Elk or Wild Turkey almost any where. Can't bet on seeing them, they are wild and come and go as they please but the numbers of wild life supported by this area is astounding. Plus if they are open you can always stop by the Elk center at Ponca and museum north of Jasper. Some fun caches in that area of the state plus old barns and cabins to explore and if it is not too awfully cold you may also see some horseback trail riders along the river. Been there many times and hope to go back many more times.

I have walked out the whole trail at Lost Valley and even explored the caves, counted at least a dozen+ deer - 30+ Elk - 40+ Wild Turkey and still been back to Jasper in time for breakfast. There are some neater places of course but they come at a much greater cost then walking the trail at Lost Valley.

Some of the caches in the area have lots of cacher pictures posted to their pages, well worth the look.

Pedestal Rock State Park has photo ops like none other but I would save that one for the fall colors so you can hook them real good. :D
------------
Also a few miles south of Jasper is Alum Cove (near Deer I think), a 1 mile loop trail where you can oooo and awwwww at the formations in the cliff face (you are on the fun side of it not the dangerous side) as the kids safely roam and explore. If you haven't been to this spot yet check out "Alum Cove" by Deezer [GCJ53N]
-----------
Great places to hike/roam/explore/walk/cache/just stand in aw of the beauty of our State????? We could list them until the cows come home! :roll:

Return to “Off Topic”