Wa state

Please refer to the Board Rules before posting here
Q
Top Rank Poster

Wa state

Postby Q » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:24 am

Looks like we will drive across this northern territory to make an appearance at a wedding. Cheaper to fly to Seattle and drive across than to fly 4 over to just across the Idaho border from Spokane. Since none of my clan, other than me, have seen "real" mountains it should be an experience anyway.

My 10 y/o wants to see St Helens and that is in the neighborhood of Ranier so we will go down there. Lots of earth caches in these parks.

Any other spots we should look for? Oldest or anything like that? Any 'sperience in this area?
Q2
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:14 am

About 100 miles or so south of Mount St Helen is the site of the first ever geocache (that is the target of my next milestone geo-adventure) and while in WA you will also be near the headquarters of Ground Speak and may actually ask for a tour.
Good luck and have fun.
BackpacknJack
Host

Groundspeak Headquarters location [GCK25B]

Postby BackpacknJack » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:45 am

My google maps shows Mount ST Helens to be 84mi from the original stash location near Viola, OR
---------------
Groundspeak Headquarters [GCK25B] is located in Seattle, WA. (this is an archived (but active???) cache so if you don’t know this number you may never see it.)
There is a loggable cache inside the HQ that holds TB’s and the cache has been logged 718 times
Quote from Jeremy: “…..you are welcome to visit the Groundspeak Headquarters. However we do request that you have an appointment by emailing the contact address beforehand. Like it has been said in the thread it would be very difficult to get work done if we had an open door policy to geocachers who wanted to visit. We usually try to get groups together on Friday to come into the office.”
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/lofive ... 52989.html
--------------------

Original Stash Tribute Plaque [GCGV0P] This cache is located near Viola, OR. This is where the first cache (a bucket), the one that started the sport was placed in 2000 when the Department of Defense stopped scrambling the satellite signals and the average nonmilitary person could get a stable fix on a location with a GPS.
This cache has been logged 2,246 times
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:31 pm

When are you headed out Jack? Looks like you are down to the final nine already....
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:40 pm

ar_kayaker wrote:When are you headed out Jack? Looks like you are down to the final nine already....

I've added the weather forecast for Portland, OR. to my bookmarks so I can keep an eye on the place. I think I have changed my mind about doing it >There & Back in the same day< as I mentioned at the last mouse hunt, and I think I will spend a few days. The thought of spending that many hours of my day being locked into an airplane seat was a thought, and it would have been one heck of an adventure but the hairs on the back of my neck have not rested since I came up with that plan. :shock:
Now if I knew a bigshot in the USAF who could get me there and back in 6hrs it would have be an excellent plan. Plus the shortest geo-adventure story I've ever written.

I can see the story now:
My#1,000th Milestone Find
Fed the critters breakfast, Flew to Oregon and found the cache. Flew back and fed the critters dinner. The End!
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:43 am

The oldest is very intriguing to my wife and I, (kid just went yeah). Problem is that would be about 200 miles added to a rented car. We should be heading west and St Helens itself is pretty out of the way. I just hate to fly halfway across the country and be so close and yet so far away.

Things will depend on when we get flights also. Financial advisor/wife is still shopping there getting frustrated as the decent flight time trips all go up in price when she tries to purchase. 40 or 50 bux ain't so bad, but x4 hurts. Any hints there? best times where to buy etc..

I kinda have a thing, I may go do a cache so that there is a smilie when I hit that search with googlemap and get part of Seattle.... I know ..weird.
Q2
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:27 am

I found one a few miles south of the Airport when I was passing through last year. I had to overnight between flights and found this one in a nice park near(ish) to the hotel I was staying in. If all you want is a smilie there are probably quite a few PNG's, but this one is technically even on airport property. They bought up a lot of land south of the runway a few years back, probably planning for expansion, but now it is just a public park with hiking and biking trails in it. It's a few miles from the entrance to the terminal to the entrance to the park, but if you have a car anyway it's not too bad. I did it on foot from my hotel.

Now if you are wanting interesting caches and have some time there are several nice looking state parks between Sea-Tac and Idaho.

AK
BackpacknJack
Host

Postby BackpacknJack » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:08 pm

You can fly coach with Southwest (at this time one of the top rated airlines) from L.R. to Portland, OR. (my destination :) ) for $89 buying directly through them plus you can download a program from them called “Ding” that will check their site and notify you of their latest and greatest last minute deals, from your selected airports (up to 10 airports) each time you get online. Your destination and mileage may vary greatly.
---------------
May your waits on the tarmac be shorter then your flight time.
-------------
May your flight attendant be small enough to not slam you in the shoulder each time she passes by.
(On my last flight mine rammed into my shoulder so many times she felt sorry for me and gave me an extra bag of chips (that amounts to almost 4 extra chips so that is a big deal ;)
BackpacknJack
Host

Flight comparisons

Postby BackpacknJack » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 am

The reasons I chose to post the price of the Southwest fares over the others:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a comparison of Delta, Southwest, and American airlines from Little Rock (LIT) to Seattle/Tacoma, WA. (SEA), 1 passenger using the cheapest rates that I could find on their online site (except senior 65+)
But I readily admit I’m not the best researcher so your mileage may vary. I was just trying to make one of those “all things equal” comparisons and I learned a few things about all fares not being equal.
You are correct in that the fares change quickly, last week I could have booked any day of the month of April with SW.Air for $89 but not anymore. I wish you great success in your family adventure.
(Life is great if you can afford the air - YES???) :roll: :)
--------
The screen shot results are posted but as with all attachments on the site you will need to log-in if you would like to see them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Feb and April had some cheaper rates.. is March spring break month?.. but when you look at July they go back up.

We will find something. I think it will be fun.
Q2
ar_kayaker
Top Rank Poster

Postby ar_kayaker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:54 pm

I think they have some strange algorythm that can tell how many seats they have left and how likely they are to sell out and starts automatically boosting the price when it predicts they will sell them all by the day of the flight. And of course the price is always less when it is further out (unless it's a known heavy travel date.)

There is also the thing where they don't mention the taxes when you ask one company, but on another website the taxes are included. I think they do it just to screw with the customers.

AK
Q
Top Rank Poster

Postby Q » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:44 am

We committed. Mom spent a little more but got the hours she wanted. A bit over 250 each. Most of the flights had us departing around 6am, when ya gotta get up for that?, or getting back 11pmish. Or even a red eye on one of the trips.

The little guys will be first timers so we wanted them to be able to see a lot.
Q2

Return to “Off Topic”